Problem Statement & Overview
The distribution of flight routes implies on-going, multinational debates where personal wellbeing & health opposes the benefits in trade & economy. Throughout these debates, proposals for new route distributions are being actively tested and flight regulations adapted. However, the citizens --- who might be highly affected by aircraft emissions --- often obtain a very limited view onto the recent situation. Focusing the Zurich airport, this project aims at increasing the transparency regarding changing route distributions. You will implement methods to (semi-)automatically detect changes and visualize the changes in a prototype.
- Given live & historical aircraft trajectory data, identify and implement suitable detectors for spatiotemporal changes in route distributions.
- Identify and implement suitable visualizations for such changes in a prototype.
- Andrienko, Natalia, et al. "Analysis of flight variability: a systematic approach." IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics 25.1 (2018): 54-64.
- Andrienko, Natalia, and Gennady Andrienko. "Visual analytics of movement: An overview of methods, tools and procedures." Information Visualization 12.1 (2013): 3-24.
- Buchmüller, Juri, et al. "Visual analytics for exploring local impact of air traffic." Computer Graphics Forum. Vol. 34. No. 3. 2015.
- Pelekis, Nikos, et al. "Visually exploring movement data via similarity-based analysis." Journal of Intelligent Information Systems 38.2 (2012): 343-391.