Visual Handball Analysis
Similar to soccer, handball is one of the most popular team sports in the world. Analyzing team sports is a challenging problem as it involves joint understanding of heterogeneous data perspectives, including high-dimensional, video, and collective movement data, as well as considering team behavior and rules (constraints) given in the particular team sport.
Same as with most sports, the visual analysis of handball is in its infancy, largely restricted to commercial solutions developed out of necessity, while neglecting the movement context, with only a few academic contributions so far, and much room for improvement still exists.
- Extract and visualize match relevant advanced statistics (for example, expected goals)
- Develop contextual movement features (can soccer models be translated to handball? How do they need to be adapted?)
- Detect and assess match situations
- Intermediate knowledge about data mining and information visualization
- Scope: Bachelor/Master
- 3 Month Project, 3 Thesis (Bachelor)/6 Month Thesis (Master)
- Start: immediately