Manuel Stein is a senior PhD student in the Data Analysis and Visualization Group at the University of Konstanz, where he leads the internal research groups for team sport analytics and high dimensional data analysis. His research concentrates on the analysis of player movement with the goal of understanding cooperative and competitive behavior in team sports by the help of visual data analysis. His research is built on a multi-facet view focusing on the detection of semantically meaningful patterns which offers the user interactive visual explanations. In the Computer Graphics & Applications journal in 2016, his paper proposed an exemplary dynamic modelling of interaction spaces to visually indicate the area each soccer player aims to control. At the IEEE VIS 2017 conference, he presented a novel system which automatically displays complex and advanced 2.5D visualizations superimposed on the original video recordings.
- Visual Analytics for Cooperative and Competitive Behavior in Team Sports
One team changing the soccer world
Predictive and prescriptive GIS based on high-dimensional geo-temporal data structures
In the Media
- About our publication Director's Cut:
- Marc Albrighton and decision-making - How can clubs use detailed tracking data to evaluate player’s decision-making? (written by David Sumpter, 2017-03-03)
- Tracking Football Players (written by Carla Avolio on Research Projects of Collective Behavior, 2018-03-13)
- About our publication Bring it to the Pitch:
- About our research on visual soccer analytics:
- Fußball und Big Data: Eine Suchmaschine für Bewegungen (Interview with Prof. Dr. Tobias Schreck about our novel developments in the field of soccer analytics, 2018-05-08)
- Football through the eyes of a computer (Press release from the University of Konstanz, 2018-06-14 - Link to german version)
- Fussball Business Inside 2018 - Visual Analysis of Big Soccer Data for Coaching, Performance Assessment and Media Presentation
- Airbus Research Award 'Claude Dornier' - Ceremonial speech about the analysis of soccer data
- MEDICA MEDICINE + SPORTS CONFERENCE - Football through the eyes of a computer
- 2017 – Honorable Mention Full Papers: Dynamic Visual Abstraction of Soccer Movement.
- 2016 – Best Vision Paper Award Runners up: BigGIS: A Continuous Refinement Approach to Master Heterogeneity and Uncertainty in Spatio-Temporal Big Data.
- 2017 – Best Paper Award Honorable Mention: Visual-Interactive Search for Soccer Trajectories to Identify Interesting Game Situations.
- 2016 – Excellent Storyboard: Fusing Events, Tasks and Spatial Awareness in an Ambient-Enabled Work Environment
- 2013 – Effective Visual Design: Similarity Driven Visual Interactive Prediction of Movie Ratings and Box Office Results
|Summer Term 2018||Seminar: Soccer Analytics|
|Summer Term 2018||Exercise: Information Visualization II|
|Winter Term 2017/18||Exercise: Analyse und Visualisierung von Information|
|Summer Term 2017||Exercise: Geographical Information Systems (GIS)|
|Winter Term 2016/17||Exercise: Information Visualization I|
|Summer Term 2016||Exercise: Geographical Information Systems (GIS)|
|Winter Term 2015/16||Exercise: Information Visualization I|
|Summer Term 2015||Exercise: Geographical Information Systems (GIS)|
|Winter Term 2014/15||Exercise: Analyse und Visualisierung von Information|
Taylor & Francis
- Geo-spatial Information Science
- Cartography and Geographic Information Science
- Journal of Sports Sciences